It has been a while since I posted a new column. Busy times but yet I managed to use my A1SE a bit. Your’s truly had, and still has, the great pleasure of beta testing AmiSystemRestore from Chris Handley. AmiSystemRestore will allow you to nearly undo any changes to the SYS: partition. Compare it to the Windows restore function. At first I ran in to some problems getting it started (error message) but Chris provided me with an updated version that works. To test it I used AmiUpdate from Simon Archer. AmiSystemRestore detects I am going to update and will do it’s job as you can see from the screenshots below. Of course I will do some more testing and leaving it running in the background for longer periods of time while I run other applications. But so far I am impressed by it.
Chris is also the author of another great utility called RunInUAE. Shame on you if you have not tried it yet. 🙂
RunInUAE is intended to make it incredibly easy to run old Amiga games on Amiga OS4, and it comes with an easy installer, so that you can:
- Run almost any HD installed 68k game (or program) inside E-UAE, by simply double-clicking on it! Including WHDLoad & JOTD JST installed games.
- Run ADF & DMS games by double-clicking them. (Needs a little bit of manual set-up if you don’t have at least OS4.1 Update 1.) Otherwise just drag & drop them onto RunInUAE’s icon in AmiDock or it’s AppIcon.
- Run CD32 & CDTV games from real or virtual CDs. (Compatibility is not great.)
- The installer can set-up E-UAE with full-speed Sam-optimised settings. But it can also use your existing E-UAE settings if you want.
- The installer will copy the necessary Kickstart ROMs off an Amiga Forever CD, if you don’t already have them installed.
- You do not need to set-up any assignments, nor create or edit any cryptic scripts or config files, for it to work! (Unlike alternative solutions.)
This week ACube Systems revealed their AmigaOne 500. It retails for about a 1000 Euro which is somewhat on the expensive side.
The AmigaOne 500 is the complete, ready to run solution for all Amiga users.
Built around the well known Sam460ex, the AmigaOne 500 will let you run AmigaOS 4.1 straight out of the box. No need to look for and install peripherals, no need to hassle with software installation procedure. Just plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse and press the power button to enter into the world of AmigaOS.
Over at OldSchoolGameBlog you care read some more about this. You can say what you want about it (the price tag for example) but the fact remains that there is hardware being released and development going on. As always there is fair comment and the always slashing of any Amiga news on the forums. I guess that (slashing of any Amiga news) is probably the main reason I don’t visit the forums so much any more and just get my news from Amiga blogs and just check the RSS news feeds I subscribe too. It is strange that you got a group of people complaining there is nothing new coming out and once there is new stuff coming out it is rubbish. It does seem that group is getting the overhand in getting as much postings on forums. Again, I am not referring to the fair comments being posted but just the intention of posting nothing but negative stuff on forums. It will not prevent me from enjoying my Amiga experience but it is very annoying to see. Talking about Amiga experience; I am off to play with my A1SE.